We began a new topic this week analyzing, comparing, and composing shapes. We continued reviewing 2-D and 3-D shapes by creating an anchor chart and drawing objects in our journals. We learned a few new shape songs that can be found on our Mighty Math Song Symbaloo! Students also completed a 3-D booklet.
We did a book study on Eric Carle this week. During our reading time, we talked about the jobs of the author and the illustrator. We also talked about how one person can do both jobs for a book. While we listened to the story, we took mental pictures of the types of illustrations in each book. We later compared the pictures to other books illustrated by Eric Carle. We also compared the same book features. For example, in The Grouchy Ladybug and The Very Hungry Caterpillar, there are layered pages that act like a flip book. We talked about how the same person was the author and the illustrator and made the books similar in features. We were able to read multiple different books by Eric Carle and notice the types of work he does!
We started a new reading guide that helps with building vocabulary. This week we read Caps for Sale and Dear Juno. These books focused on the following vocabulary words: communicate, imitate, gentle, ordinary, refreshed, satisfied, and soared. We listened for them in the stories and tried using them in our conversations.
Miss Jefferies has done a wonderful job with small groups. Students have moved along in the small group Pathways to Reading manual. They are first grade ready! Encourage your child to recite vowel town at home!
Students read many books, watched informational videos on www.pebblego.com (contact me for our school username & password), and continued learning about plants. They created a book describing the parts of a plant and made a poster and labeled the parts of a plant & plant needs. They are hanging in our hallway. We also planted our very own seeds! Students are learning how to care for them and are excited to see them grow.
Monday, May 4th ~ PE
Thursday, May 7th ~ Miss Jefferies' last day!
Friday, May 8th:
- Last day to check out library books ~ all books need to be returned by May 15th.
- Box Tops collection
All proceeds are donated locally!
Date: Sunday, May 3, 2015
Event Time: 8:00am – 11:00am
Location: Unity Village, 1901 NW Blue Parkway, Unity Village, MO 64065
Run/Walk distances: 10K Run - 5K Run - Awareness Walk (.8 mile) - Kids Dash - Virtual Runner
Race day schedule:
- Open at 6:30 am
- Race day packet pick-up from 6:30 am – 7:30 am at Information Tent (out of town participants only)
- Opening remarks and singing of the National Anthem will begin at 7:45 am
- Kids activities from 8:00 am – 10:30 am
- Awareness Walk will begin at 8:00 am
- 10K Run will begin at 8:10 am
- 5K Run will begin at 8:15 am
- Kids Dash will begin at 9:30 am
- Awards Ceremony immediately following the Kids Dash
- Dickey’s BBQ for race participants
- Sample smoothies from The Smoothie Shop
- Sluggerrr, the Kansas City Royals Mascot
- Face painting
- Vendor booths
- Free Kids Dash (ages 12 & under)
- Free Ice Cream at the Schwan’s Ice Cream Truck
- Strollers welcome
- Free photos online
I hope to see you there! Have a great weekend!